<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 25, 2014

Thursday date night 

We have started a new tradition.

Every Thursday, we go out to eat somewhere medium. There are not a lot of criteria involved. It must have table service, be kind of informal and not some la-di-da pretension. We have ended up with six places: Elmers, Coco’s, Jakes, Appetito, Al Dente and Shermans. I include this list for the local interest. Or, if you visit, here is where we will end up.

Last night we went to Elmers. This is a small chain just here on the west coast, 25 locations. They have a great menu which has changed recently. We thought since last time but the waiter said five months.

I had a Ruben Sandwich.

I never noticed it on the menu before (hence our assumption it was a new item).

In any case, it is the first Ruben Sandwich I have had in many years.

The last I remember would have been at Ken's in Boston on Boylston Street.

A Ruben is sublime. Freshly grilled corned beef (shaved), white meat turkey, sauerkraut and miscellaneous dressings (Thousand Island) on thick rye toast.

To top it off I had real lemon merengue pie. Another thing I have not had in years. And this is not the old lemon pudding kind of pie filling. It is the traditional recipe. The one that uses condensed milk. The secret of a good LMP. And, of course, real merengue and not some crappy substitute.

There is some disagreement about the crust for one of these pies. Some use graham cracker. Not me. I don't like that crumbliness. And this pie was a regular crust.

Jeez. I meant to write about the Ruben but end up doing a tribute to the pie.

Well, that is Elmer's for you. Surprises around every corner.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?