<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 28, 2014

Third 

Since I am still in the student applicant business for MIT, I read all the propaganda that comes out about cost and delivery.

Money Magazine has a new ranking out based on the cost and the earnings of a graduate from a host of schools.

The first and best two schools are basically business schools. Babson and Webb Institute. I know Babson. Not Webb.

The third ranking school for bang for the buck is MIT.

Money's Best Colleges.

I graduated there and still interview students who are prospects in my area. Or they interview me.

This is great grist for the mill. Money.

I am not surprised about this although I do think that MIT is one of the most expensive schools in the world. That said, it also has one of the best student aid infrastructures of any school in the world. Maybe the best.

In our interviews (optional talks really with an alumnus and a student over coffee) the issue of cost doesn't come up much. I tell them not to worry about it. I know that whatever their situation, if they have the stuff, the money angle is the last one that is looked at. And never for admission. More for aid.

All applications are blind as to financial circumstances and we are not to address or ask about that. I do not of course. But in my area of the country it is sometimes glaringly obvious that a second or even first generation Mexican boy or girl has a financial hardship. Some not, but most do.

We step aside from it.

All that is handled later after admission.

And that is a good thing.

Since I attended over fifty years ago, the emphasis is on talent and personality. And not net worth.

It is still going on that way.

Good.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?