<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Mary Jane 

Here comes a new wave of effort to stop the criminalization of marijuana.

Now, even the most prestigious editorial page in the country says

Repeal Prohibition, Again

The HTML slyly says "high time marijuana legalization". High time. Ha.

I do not smoke reefer today. It is part of my life as a recovering alcoholic. No substances. Period. But, in the day, I liked my weed and found it benign in almost every sense. That is a pun incidentally. Every sense. Gotta spell it out sometimes.

As I recall, compared to alcohol, I never, ever got in trouble with marijuana. No hangovers, not even a slurred word. Maybe a bad case of the munchies. Perhaps a giggling fit. But not any trouble.

Whereas alcohol? Trouble. Lots of it. Loss of motor control, blackouts, severe hangovers, lapses of judgement. All of it.

I got my ticket punched as far as mj is concerned because, fundamentally, any drug is a gateway for me to the bad one. I almost always had a white wine with my smoke. So, a trigger. I don't use that word, trigger, but there it is.

This is where the whole procession of old aunties, anti-drug fanatics and religionists come in and scream various untruths about the evil of getting high.

What they mostly mean as that marijuana smoke kind of takes the edge off our concern about things that moralists take quite seriously. For example, sex.

There is no better marital aid than a good puff of dope. It enlivens the senses, focuses in on sensation and basically turns down the usual mind chatter that goes on. That gets in the way of being with one's self and/or the other person. It is not essential. It is just a nice enhancer. Like some folks find a glass of wine to be.

Take taste. Same thing. Food is better. The munchies are no joke. Focus again.

I don't have to explain it. Step right up to the local dealer and have a bag if you want to know.

If you dare.

And that is the other thing about all this. There is a certain paranoia to doing a joint. It is just there. I had some of it. Some people have a lot. Some of the paranoia is appropriate but most of it is not. It is an unpleasant side effect and frankly, if there was some reason it was safe for me alcoholically speaking I probably would not use it. But that is me.

Here is the main thing I worry about. When they make too big a deal about marijuana they fly in the face of logic and experience and, basically, the personal experience of most kids who have tried it. None are dependent. Well, except the ones who have a problem with substance anyway. Powerless over that one. Most like the effect.

The heavy anti-marijuana campaigning is over kill and leads an impressionable youth to a conclusion which is not instructive or constructive. That society is a heavy handed and that laws are unreasonable and repressive with no reason. And mostly, rebellion is delicious.

In that respect, we should maintain some restrictions. At least to provide some second thoughts before someone starts to use it.

And so on.

We have been through this before and before that and even before that.

But the New York Times for legalization? That is fucking news.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?