<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 21, 2014

Clean up 

Today's film is a gay film, a cross cultural film, an immigrant film and all round wonderful film experience.

A top five winner which is part of my own DVD library.

My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)

Stephen Frears' first film is beautiful in every way.

Two young men meet as an immigrant nephew is given responsibility for managing a rich uncle's investment property. A launderette.

The young Pakistani asks a childhood friend to help him, a street punk who wants off the street.

It doesn't take long for both young men to fall in love with the other. Fortunately about the same time.

This is not an unrequited love gay film. Nor is it really a gay film. Romance does follow the machinations of the business. But it would not work nearly as well if the couple were straight. Don't ask me why. Sort of because some toughness is necessary in dealing with the street gang from which one of the young men comes.

I have seen it many times and do not get tired of it.

This is Daniel Day Lewis' first film. Another first. He is radiant as the punk who befriends the young Pakistani man and then falls in love with him.

The surprising thing is that the film bears so much repeat viewings. I have seen it five or six or more times. I have not tired nor do I know what is going to happen next even though I have been through it before.

The acting is so good all around and the story so engaging that this ends up being one of my very favorite all time movies.

A 5 out of Netflix5 for sure.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?