<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Scored 

An MIT boy is never finished with being graded.

True to form, the interviewees that I see each year, applicants for admission, are asked to rate their interview on a scale of 1-5.

This year I got all "5's" but for two "4's".

Good for me.

Of course, my reaction is that something was wrong, I should have done better, what could I do to improve this? Why not all "5's"?

And that is just the reason that they have these things. Grade anxiety.

We had quizzes every Friday in Freshman year and I was near crapping my pants every week.

It takes a long time to get over this even if graduation came and went and it is all over. I might even dream about this tonight. Also that I am taking the final and haven't ever gone to class.

The two who gave me a 4 were women. This is often the case. I am a bit puzzled by this but, then again, as a gay man I do not respond to the normal "cues" that are out there. Or it could just be the odds.

I do not mean there is anything wrong with this. It is the way of the world.

Nor am I self pitying about it. I am the interviewer after all and I get to be whoever, however I am. It is the old thing about not tailoring my approach to fit other people's expectations. Fashionable or otherwise.

An example. Not my course. But it is the same thing. These are not trivial.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?