<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Eat 'em up 

Today's movie is a western with suits. Bad guy, good guys who preserver, a complicated tale of greed with retribution at the end. Not a spoiler. Everyone knows, right?

The thing people disagree about is whether the director Martin Scorcese made the punishment fit the crime or whether he was glorifying it. Hey, this is a movie. They gotta sell tickets and keep you in your seats. The old rules apply, villainy is a lot more interesting than gallantry.

That is why Leornard DiCaprio can take on a role in which he hurts a lot of people.

Yes, the film is

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

I liked it but it takes a long time to get through. I think 2 hours is enough for any film no matter who the director is. No matter the star.

So, I admit it. I FF'd in the second half. Enough already.

There is some talk about how Scorcese glamorized this Wall Street bandit. Not at all. But he did show how money can insulate. If the lead guy had been a small time hustler with some shitty bonds or something he would have been picked up very soon. Doesn't happen here.

Wall Street movies prove to us what we believe already. That the guys all have their hands on the till, they are getting away with murder and that they don't care who gets hurt. Whether it is true or not, I still own stocks and watch the money grow just like anyone else. I hope that the institution that handles my stuff will do me right and not do anything untoward. But what do I know.

It is an entertaining film and I don't want to call tomorrow and pull my money out. Fun to watch the co stars who are numerous in cameo type roles. Too numerous to mention.

A 4 out of Netflix 5 even though I did skip which normally would bring it down to a 2. I made an exception. A good thing for them if they are counting on my rating for additional DVD sales.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?