<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Missed  

Hurried home from a meeting for a date with a friend who never showed. No problem. Open time. Which I like a lot. Found time. Time to just float. I thanked him when he called to say he was sorry. Surprise. I will meet him next week. Or not. We talked anyway. He has a trip back to his "home". A curious word to describe our original family or the location we grew up or the location of a period of our life which is nearly over. Some people never leave even when they have not been there for a long time. I am not sure that I ever referred to that place as home once I left. But then, my separation from it was more dramatic than most. Except for occasional visits to my parents, I never went back, never saw any of the many relatives except for one cousin who refused to be ignored. Once that separation had occurred, it seemed impolite to barge back in. If I wanted to which I did not. So "home" for me has always been the place where I was living and having my daily experiences.

I fooled around with a list of locations that I frequent on a particular website. Mostly, I wanted to be able to click right into the particular posting that I was interested in but the site has a password entry system and does not accept my bookmarks even when I have gone through the sentries. So I am making a list of addresses with the > thing that will help me click to the place I want to be. I don't get why the bookmarks will not work here but they do not so I have to do this makeshift arrangement. Shit.

Today's movie was Leos Carax' first film Boy Meets Girl. It is French and Carax was trying to innovate. It is not too easy to get. There is sort of a story but not really. It is mostly about people not connecting so there is a lot of air space. I liked it and will give it a 3. I don't think I will order his three other films though. I can say that I had a good look, it was OK, but I want to hang out with other stuff than he shows up with here. What was most interesting to me is that the star, or one of them, is Dennis Lavant who went on to do a lot of films including a favorite, Beaux Travail. He is an ugly mutt who has great eyes and considerable charisma. Corax met him in an unemployment office where Lavant was trying to get some work when he was down on his luck as an actor. Ugly mutt. Mireille Perrier is the woman he falls in love with when he hears her breaking up with her boyfriend—over the intercom in the street. Funny. A great scene. As are many small bits on the way to a sort of conclusion. One of the details of the film is that people are getting together left and right around these two. In the background. Constantly. Hugging, kissing, going home together. Our two struggle through the simplest speech. At one point Lavant has to go to a toilet in a train stop (the one in the train is occupied) and, distracted by a pinball machine, misses the train while Marielle goes on her way. French. Carax wrote the script when he was 16 but they wouldn't let him make the film because of his youth. Blah blah. It is an interesting film and here is more about it.

Around here, not France, people are returning from wherever they go in the summer. There is a mild contempt for these escapees on the part of those who stay through the entire year. Us. Our immediate next door neighbor just returned from Boston. He bought the condo in the spring then left. I haven't seen him but there is evidence of his presence. Lights on during the "night". Booker and I see them when we go out for our AM pee.

There are others on the street coming back. We are friendly but not too friendly as these folks just pick up and leave when the going gets a little rough. Actually, they leave in May and return in late October thereby missing the best months of the year, June and September. October. Right now, it is glorious. Warm days, cool nights, brilliant sunlight.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?