<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Interview with bikes 

I interviewed an MIT applicant today in the middle of Palm Springs motorcycle weekend. I forget to check the events calendar before I have an interview so, each year, I will hit an event which pours a lot of traffic and activity right where I meet up. The place of the meeting is all pre-arranged although I can call at the last minute and get things squared away. Today it was the bikes and the bikers. It all worked out. Please, excuse me, but do bikers know that they are a walking talking stereotype? The look. Men and women. It is a little embarrassing. The kid today was from La Quinta, a ritzier city down valley. Some welcome to Palm Springs. Cheesy. But we met up and had a good talk and I liked him and was able to write a good review of an unconventional kid who has a lot to offer and has had experiences that many of us are unlikely to ever be involved in. He was a troubled teen and got packed off to a boot camp style "academy" when he was in 8th grade. In the middle of the night. Two "transporters". From there it is a story of finding one's self and growing up. The system seems to have worked for him. He has stayed there four years and mentors other kids. I really liked him.

The bikers disappeared but my god they are a mess.

The interview threw my day off and my new regime of walking Booker in the afternoon went by the wayside. He doesn't seem to mind.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?