<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Ebest 

All critics have their "best" list and Roger Ebert was no exception.

But Ebert went beyond criticism. He was a connoisseur of fine films.

He has a list of 300 from which I got the suggestion to watch 25 Hours.

Ebert's list is a live list. It is kept up on his blog and includes the suggestions of other fans of Ebert. Not by vote but by nomination and then, who knows how the selection process proceeds.

In the past I have had a lot of fun with lists.

I did the 1746 Best Films of the NYTimes (they had two lists of 1500 and there was some non-overlap). It took three years.

I did the 100 best gay films of the site Queerty.

That took less time.

So I am going to do the Ebert list. I will not see any film that I have already seen unless I want to.

I will still intersperse other notable films that I have put in my queue so the viewing will be spread out a lot over time.

If you want to check Ebert's list out, here it is.

I have used Ebert's reviews a lot and I frequently agree with him. I am always instructed by them.

I do disagree from time to time. For example, Ebert just does not get or like any film with a gay content. I don't take this personally. He is a traditional guy.

But I don't agree with the NYTimes who I use most often. They don't get gay films either or like them and they have a lot of gay people around the office if not doing the reviews.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?