<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 25, 2013

Big thaw 

No gym this morning. As I went to the car, I saw that the door to the freezer was open about three inches. Shit. This happens. Someone forgot to double check. A box got in the way. It felt solid on the closing but there was a waffle carton sticking out.

The real problem is that we did not buy a freezer with a positive latch on it. Be warned. This has happened several times in the past but this time, the worst. I had to take out at least half of the stuff mostly on the top three shelves. That is another thing. I buy two of stuff or buy ahead. The thing was loaded. Two black garbage bags worth. Ice cream, some meat, all the meat loaf I made the last time. That hurt the most. And I got over it fast. A lesson and what the hell. Maybe a hundred bucks worth of stuff. I could leave the lower half in there. Shut the door, let it go back from 50 to 0. I had to go to the store this morning anyway. I only bought for the next several days until the freezer got back to the bottom. There was some space in the regular freezer drawer. It has all worked out fine. Over and done with. I would almost just junk the goddam freezer that is there and buy one with a latch but there doesn't seem to be one. For $V800 I can get a 20 cf Frigidaire with an alarm for failure. Too much. Too little. We would have never heard an alarm. Unbelievable that there is no such thing. Well, I am sure there is but not easily found. Next time, if there is one, I will fucking find one.

The late Sixties (should I capitalize them?) were a special time for most of us of a certain age. A lot of what we thought was happening at the time was not. But we "happened" in the midst of utopian assumptions and a bunch of false evidence that things were changing. Oliver Assayas (a favorite director) has made a movie about his own experience as a 16 year old at that time. Something in the Air (2012) is a gentle, sweet film about the all the paths that opened up at that time and how some teens were diverted and at least one teen found himself and came out whole. Everyone is caught up in the aftermath of the 1968 student riots which open the film. Some drift off to India, others into militant politics. Our young hero is in the life selling papers, using and developing his art in making posters, following his interest in experimental film. Dad is a television producer and while he disdains the work, he cannot avoid being attracted and while repelled at the same time, he finds himself a niche. The film ends with a small film that he evidently made. Girls come and go, friends are not constant, well one is, but the kid keeps on his own path. I loved this film. It is very nice and the boy is extremely attractive in the way he deals with the two sides of his life, revolutionary friends and a conventional family life. We only see his Dad and the scenes with him, including an argument, are very nice to watch. Their relationship is so loving. You feel the struggle of the teen and the tug of the love. A beautiful balance. I had that myself so I understand it. I will give this a 4 out of Netflix5.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?