Monday, September 02, 2013
Another view
I posted an article by an Indian student about how America looked to him, now, another view.
I loved the Indian view because, for once, it was not some bizarre mishmash of political haranguing and the usual march of American stereotypes across the page.
It was a thoughtful compendium of someone's genuine impression which gibed with my own.
Now, a similar article from the view of an Australian.
As someone who has a dear departed family member now living there I am hilariously reminded that a lot of my worries about Australia are echoed by the warped view some "furriners" have of the US.
That is not what this article is about but in the process he manages to untie some incorrect beliefs I might have had about his country and the country in which my loved one is now residing. Starting with the dangerous wild animals one. I have been to Australia. I have to admit that I saw no wild animals except the gentle almost somnolent koala, a few kangaroos who seemed strange to see but not in any way dangerous.
I found the Australian lingo charming and not nearly as impenetrable as one would imagine. Once explained it all made some sense.
I found the people to be friendly and exuberant. Full of life.
As an American I was treated so well and so kindly even when I was a sort of ignorant tourist looking for all the wrong things.
I am glad this guy is doing the same.
Labels: America, Australia, international