Saturday, August 03, 2013
Get away but not too far
In a week, I will be off for my five days at the Bay Club Hotel in San Diego.
Same place I go every year. They have a new website design. You might want to take a look.
As you can see, it is hardly roughing it.
I will be in a place that I have been going to regularly for many years. Twenty? Thirty maybe?
I used to train trainers there. I don't think I ever ran a big training at that location.
We started down the street actually at the Kona Kai which has been rehabbed and condominiumized to within an inch of its life. Too bad. The original decor, consistent with the theme of Shelter Island, the area that it belongs to, was Hawaiian or a state's siders fantasy of it.
Shelter Island is directly across from downtown San Diego. Beautiful.
It is basically and artificial island built in the 50s and 60s to accommodate yachting of all kinds and levels.
The America's Cup was headquartered there at one time.
My routine is the same year to year.
I arrive, park the car, go to a great room that looks out on the marina side and stay put.
The car leaves when I do at the end of my stay.
In the meantime, I hang out in the room, out on the boat ramp across the street (a huge one) and I walk the bay side in the morning, half before the room gets cleaned up and half while they are at it, first thing.
I eat only at the hotel restaurant which has great food. A huge buffet breakfast goes with the room. I try everything.
Lunch, just a sandwich and some fruit. Dinner from the menu. There are always great specials. And, there is the chowder. New England style ironically and some of the best I have anywhere.
I almost always get a bit of a tan. More than happens in the desert. Because I am outside so much. And then reading on the balcony. Until sunset.
There is a life in the marina which is part of the ambience. Always something happening on or to the hundreds of boats anchored there. Well, maybe two hundred. I should count.
The place is right next to Humphrey's a concert venue which is almost viewable from the balcony if I am down on one end where they usually put me, the type of room I order up. It is loud but if I am not interested in ear participation, I can shut the slider, pull the drapes and the sound is almost completely cancelled. They have become expert and dealing with this sound thing which could be a nuisance or a treat.
I have heard some pretty good artists here.
I am ready. It is not just a get-away from the desert heat. Actually, this year the desert weather has been pretty good. It is a place where I have nothing to do but read, meditate (which I catch up on every year) and gawk at the people (mostly men) at the boat ramp, the boats, the one or two seals that hang out there and the ever present pelicans. The sea air. The quiet. The utter total difference from my normal life.
I will arrive on Sunday the 11th and by Thursday I will be ready to get back home and back to a great life which really does not need a break but since I will have had one, seems all the better.

Labels: vacation