Sunday, June 02, 2013
DOUBLE TALK
Today's oped page in the NYTimes is adorned with an incomprehensible mishmash by Julian Assange, the slightly cracked Wikileaks guy.
The Banality of Google's Don't Be Evil
Try to read this.
It is a view into a troubled mind.
Phantoms lurk everywhere.
My impression is that the Times took this as is and just printed it outright as a way to see into this guy's head.
I suppose, given the size of his ego, that he might have demanded they not edit. But the result is the same.
Here, laid out in line after line is the paranoia and obsessions of a guy who has lived too long in his own aura.
The "banality" headline is a play on Hannah Arendt's line about the Eichmann trial in 1963 and Google's "don't do evil" slogan. A little strong in this case, I would say.
I think there is at least a little daylight between Larry Page and Sergey Brin and Eichmann.
Well, lets admit he does have one thing right. Google talk is almost as incomprehensible as Assange's but in many fewer words. I just think, for the most part, that the Google people's belief in the inherent good of their works is mostly naive and self serving.
Assange on the other hand is so complex in his rants and invective that he makes no sense at all.
I have watched this guy. He fits a pattern of ranters from way back. Actually, I believe, an anarchist.
This is in preparation of our minds for the trial this week of Pfc. Bradley Manning, the little guy who got caught in the gears between Assange's dirty tricks and US secrecy.
Assange is also in confinement or asylum as he awaits results in his Swedish charges of rape. It is kind of messed up just like this tirade.
Labels: democratic whack jobs