<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

SWARMING

I read the earthquake records every morning.

There is not a lot of utility in this.

If an earthquake has already happened and it missed you then that is all you need to know.

If it does hit, there is a lot of satisfaction in reading about it and knowing how close you came to a disaster.

Take a look, you might find it interesting. On this page.

There is actually a reason that I look at these. I was told, or read, that it was a good thing to have a swarm of small earthquakes in your area because it meant that the tectonic stress was being relieved gradually. There is always tectonic stress in some places. I live in one of them. A few miles away from the San Andreas fault.

It is not that I am worried about earthquakes. That is a mug's game. They come when they come, are as hard as they are going to be at the time and they go away. All in the space of seconds. Fall on the floor, under cover and cover your head.

I think that I just like to see if there is any stress relieved. It is like going out to see if there are any clouds on the horizon if you are interested in rain.

Anyway.

I have noticed recently that there have been quite a large number of tremblors in the Virgin Islands.

We used to go there a lot, Saint Croix, but never heard about this. Probably because the annual hurricane threat is so dire that an earthquake is just a minor consideration.

That and also the crime rate. I have been shot at in the VI. Something that never happened in my 35 and more years of living in the urban center of Boston.

So I googled and here is what I found

Seven Earthquakes Shake the VI in Five Hours

I don't suppose that anyone reading this really cares about it. But I care.

One of the terms of reading this blog is that if I care you should also.

This is "the Point" on the eastern end of the island. We used to stay about half a mile beyond here and if you look carefully you can see me snorkeling in the water.

There is no danger if there is a quake while you are in water. I think.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?