<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

SATIRE WITH A SHARP EDGE

Today's NYTimes Pick film was Elia Sulieman's

The Time That Remains (2011)

This is the followup to the film we saw yesterday. The same ideas about the Palestine/Israeli situation. This one is a personal history. His mom and dad through the period 1948 to the present.

Played out in vignettes, some repetitive. Some clear. Some baffling. But all of a piece.

I cried at the end.

And it is not "that kind of movie".

At times it seems that even battle scenes are so stylized that they are a bit cartoon like. But the bite is always hardest with these heavy light pieces.

I admire this kind of film making more than I like it. If you know what I mean.

While I would not want to see it again, it really rates a 4 out of Netflix5 if not more. Words like stunning and impactful don't quite do it. I am grasping for a word.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?