<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 09, 2013

ROAD TEST

I went for my urodynamics test this morning.

This is not a rock group.

It is a test of bladder efficiency and stuff.

It was quite an experience.

This is no simple thing. Hi tech.

A really neat woman ran the thing. A medical technician, not a nurse. She put a wired catheter up the penis and the rectum. Each! Both. Together.

The penis one has two tubes. One electronic and the other a water supply. The rectum measures something around the stomach.

I also got wired up with four EKG type electrodes around my pubes (no shaving required, ouch at the end). She has a computer equipped with a water bottle and a small pump.

We got going and water gets pumped into the bladder. The subject, reports "sensations". Not many for me until it is time to pee. She says until, if I was riding along the highway, I would be getting off to take a leak. Not until it hurts hurts but more like well, full.

I complied.

The machine hummed.

Before too long, the test was over.

They put my leg bag back on. I can't do without it but I knew that.

I set up an appointment with the Doc and the soonest will be May 24. Two weeks.

No shorts, no gym, same deal until we get a solution. But there will be a solution. I have been assured of that.

I was a little disappointed. I thought maybe the Doc would be waiting for me in the next room and they would teach me how to self catheter.

No.

The options seem clearer now actually. A laser on the prostate to widen the passage, a tube inserted to widen the channel, or self catheterization for life if the bladder is flubbed out. I suspect the latter but one can only squeeze so much info out of a technician and so, I wait.

It could be a lot worse. I could be feeling like I had to pull off the highway to pee all the time.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?