<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 24, 2013

INVOKED

The Supremes are taking up the issue of prayer openings for town meetings.

Justices Take Case on Prayer at Town Board Meetings

They are late to the party.

I was the Moderator of the Plymouth MA Town Meeting for several years in the late 60s, early 70s. The first thing that I did was to stop the "invocations" which opened all the sessions.

There wasn't much of a furor. In fact, I don't think anyone objected. Not to me.

A handful of sky pilots had shown up and opened every Meeting, as far as I knew, since the Pilgrims had the same annual get together.

I felt it was just wrong. The previous guy had a setup with all the Prots and Catholics. He was a Jew so there was always a rabbi.

I did cause a scuffle when someone thought I was going to ditch the Pledge of Allegiance but that was not on my list of changes. I would have been strung up.

I am surprised to see that invocations are still given widely and that people, mostly the christians, are surprised there would be any objection to it.

Since it is part of their normal way of life they don't see it as inappropriate or as a kick in the pants of non-believers. Or believers in something other than what they believe.

Good luck Supremes. You will be up to here in yakkity yak about freedom of religion and how it applies to the ones who want to cram their beliefs down other people's throats.

Freedom to do their thing not mine.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?