<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 21, 2013

MEAN GIRLS

Today's movie was a NYTimes Critics' Pick

Bachelorette (2012)

I wouldn't have watched this but for the Times review.

And I am glad I did.

But Lord, is this "comedy" mean.

Kirsten Dunst brilliantly leads the trio of women stunned to learn that their friend fat Becky is actually the first of the four to get married and to a handsome rich guy.

She is the heroine. Sweet and willing to face life which the others have not yet tried, opting instead for smart talk, drugs, sex and wishful thinking.

The three are losers. And, as losers, they can't stand the reality that the "least" among them is actually a winner. The butt of their jokes turns it around.

This could be a setup for tragedy or, in this case, satire, as the three b/witches get their comeuppance often hilariously.

This was a one set play so the interaction and jokes are fast paced and the opening into NYC make it even more fast paced and intense.

It took me awhile to climb on board but I did and, in the end, enjoyed the movie very much as well as the ending in which everyone gets something but the fat girl gets it all.

I tried subtitles for awhile because I wasn't getting the jokes but then quit and relaxed. It is funny enough whether I heard it all or not.

Would I want to see this again? No way. But I am glad that I saw it once.

A 3 out of Netflix5. Maybe a 2 because it is so mean spirited and I don't think anyone learns one fucking thing. No moral of the story. Except that the fat girl wins. Good for her.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?