<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 16, 2013

ADMIT TWO

Good news today.

Another kid that I interviewed was admitted to MIT this week. I had one in the "early admission" process.

That makes two from my area (from the eastern state line to the Banning Pass and from the high desert down to the international border).

Many years we have none. It is the first time I have had two.

I invest considerable time and energy in the interview process each year. Anywhere from 15-25 kids, depending on how many get to stage two applications and how many decide to get an optional interview (almost all).

They are a wonderful mix of kids. Big, little, mature and not so much. A new millennium ethnic mix, the way we will all be in another generation.

Extraordinary kids. Top of their classes, movers and shakers. Many have been wishing for this since they were little kids. Really.

Every once in a while a clinker but that is rare. And when that happens, I have been able to help them decide to make other plans.

This year's class had over 18000 applications of which 1548 students were admitted. This give us an admission rate of 8.2%

It used to be 10%.

I look at their faces knowing that only one or two will make it from here. A sad reality.

At the current percentage admits, we should be sending two kids out of this area every year and I bend over backward to write a positive review for each of them that I think should be admitted. Almost all. I am told no one at MIT compares the writeups to see that I recommend almost indiscriminately.

But many factors come into play and we have to be realistic and realize that the desert does not offer some of the academic and cultural enrichment that a lot of kids from urban areas enjoy. It is more of a stretch to get kids into MIT from places like this. Because I came from an impoverished schooling, I am with them on this. Unfair but a fact nonetheless.

This year the two guys who are going into the new class are standouts. I wish I could tell you their inspiring stories but I cannot, of course. Suffice to say that I am quite proud to have made their acquaintance and to have a small part in their achievement.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?