Tuesday, January 01, 2013
CLIFFHANGER
Grand Deals Give Way to Legislative Quick Fixes
I haven't written about the "fiscal cliff" because there wasn't any. Or if there was one we wouldn't go over it.
Actually, I did write that there was no real threat.
I know that the wonks on the left think this process is horrible. They want what they want. They blame their own president for giving things away.
They ignore the fact that this is a democracy. Yeh. I know, a republic. This is how things work. We voted the two parties in there. It is the result. Trial and error.
The NYTimes laments the absence of a "big bargain".
Fuck.
We don't need that. We have fixes and working along the close line that can be found between parties and beliefs.
It isn't supposed to be clean and easy.
Clean and easy is Putin saying that there will be no more American adoptions. Bang. The russkies are back to one man rule.

The Brits parliamentary system? Even messier.
I am an American. I breathe the same air as you and them. We make mistakes.
Yes. I know. People get hurt when these things are thrashed out. The safety net suffers. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes things get better before they get worse. For a long time.
At a certain age I can see the arc of it.
Right now, things are tough. But they will work out. They always do.
Weep and moan if you wish.
I am glad to be here and proud of my country and too bad for you if you think it is a mess and unworkable.
Get busy. Write a letter. Pound some pavement. Get active. That is how it works. We do it. There is no them. Just us.
Labels: America, democracy, politics