<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 11, 2012

ROACH MOTEL

Today's movie was Frank Zappa's

200 Motels (1971)

Virtually unwatchable. The transfer is so bad. The images are watery. The sound is obscured by a small 60 cycle hum which cuts out a lot of what is going on.

I watched enough to know that even crystal clear and with perfect sound it might still be unwatchable.

Low on the music and high on stoner high jinx it is obviously something thrown together as an amusement for the band and its most zealous fans.

I liked Zappa's music a lot and, probably, truth be told, I liked the idea of Zappa's work more than the work itself.

That is why I rented the movie. To see finally what I had only heard about. And as Zappa comes into rock history before MTV and all, there is scant video record.

I thought the film would be a combo remember when and a bit more. It turns out to be a lot less.

An early exit earns the DVD a 1 out of Netflix5.

This is a good video of one of his "greatest hits". No preview of 200 motels.

And if you want to see the trailer for the film, here it is.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?