<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 28, 2012

MACCED UP

We have been thinking about updating our computers (and the wireless system) for quite a while now.

Not only new but an upgrade to the 27 inch, humongous screen.

Rumors of a new iMac abounded but nothing showed. We had a plan to do the replacement in October while our family-techs were here but the new iMac wasn't ready and neither were we.

Then, suddenly, they announce the new iMac will be out mid November. Good! It will not have a DVD player. Not good.

We have a big investment in DVDs which, I know, will soon enough become anachronistic but, unlike Apple, I am not ready to throw in with the on line viewing just yet.

Netflix library for streaming is thin at best and certainly does not include the likes of the films I like to see.

So. Dilemma.

We decided to get the 2011 model before it becomes unavailable.

They had already taken down the 2011 iMacs in the on-line store.

Today, we went to Palm Desert to get our new machines from the Mac Store. They were already taking the inventory down. No sales per se, but we did save a little money. We got an upgraded 4 gig machine to 8 gig.

We will pick them up tomorrow.

On Tuesday a Mac authorized service guy will come to do the installation. I am past it. Or it is past me. John has the iPhone and it needs to be integrated into the system and I have no idea how to do that.

The guy sounds very good. Will help us change the wireless from an old Airport to a new Time Capsule, a combination backup disc and wi fi creator.

He is coming on Tuesday and we will get the data transferred and the new machines all up and running in a few hours.

I am awaiting results, but I cannot tell you how happy I am to have a service person who cares and regards me as a client already.

We have not had that although maybe we could have. There are probably a lot of things we should have but do not. Change out of Earthlink which is an old creaky IP and so on. We shall see.

My family consultant who has been great will be relieved to know that we have made a move in the professional direction although I suppose I will continue to check shit out with him if I feel skeptical or uncertain.

Thanks Dave.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?