<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

THE WEST

Today's film was Wim Wender's

Paris Texas (1984)

with the screenplay by Sam Shepard.

Harry Dean Stanton is the main guy here. Lost, walking in the desert. Found by his brother, Dean Stockwell, and brought "home" where Stanton's son has basically been adopted into the brothers family.

This is about family, brothers, men, women, fathers, mothers somehow strained through the sensibility of the West.

I get it but I can't explain it.

The lost brother heals and goes off to find the boy's mother. Nastassja Kinski. Also gone to God knows where.

Houston. How is that for a destination.

There is a lot going on here and it all holds together as a riveting film but somehow resists being a story.

It is now beautifully restored by Criterion and that is why I got it. I saw it when it came out and remembered Harry Dean walking and walking but not much else.

Now that I have seen it again, I would say that this is enough for now and will give it a 3 out of Netflix5. I will check it off my list of must see films.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?