<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 06, 2012

SO CLOSE SO FAR APART

Today's film by Fatih Akin, a NYTimes Critics' Pick was

Auf der anderen Seite / The Edge of Heaven (2007)

A father and son, and two mothers and daughters are thrown into an intertwining, beautifully evolving evocation of expectation versus reality, lost love, death and, well, transfiguration.

This is a wonderfully soulful movie. There are no secrets and yet everything is a secret for the people we are so involved with.

We see them coming and going and passing each other when they are not running into another character.

A tour de force which I will surely see again.

A 5 out of Netflix5.

PS: I am done with the "best films" thing that I did with the NYT so I think that I am going to revive the category for films that I believe would be in such a list if it was updated. This is one of them.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?