<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

GARDEN VARIETY HYPERTENSION

Went to Dr. Jim this morning about the blood pressure.

It turns out that there is nothing exotic about my problem. No steroid effects. My working theory to avoid the truth. He says that would be minimal.

I am like many other people with high blood pressure. Careless about my eating to the point of being overweight.

I eat too much salt and salty foods. They told us, didn't they? Did I listen? Well, yes with a reservation about me.

And old. Don't forget old. The body can't fight off the artificial rigors I put it through. Food. Salt. That.

I will have drugs. They start today. He says he will get me down to where "it" is supposed to be. 100 on the bottom scale as in 135/100. That 100. I always thought it was the other one they worried about. Now I will worry about it too but not the top. The bottom. Did everyone else know that?

The change of diet has started. Rather a change back from all the caloric tweaks and compromises I have done in ten years. You know, like daily ice cream. Well, frozen yogurt. Which is better for me, right?

He read off my weight since he first met me. In 1997 I weighed 165. My new goal. I have thirty pounds to go. I wanted to lie about this but I need to start telling myself the truth. I am thirty pounds over weight.

I have taken as models those family and friends who have taken the lard off so effectively. Having put it on, I can take it off. A day at a time.

I had less salt already today. Next the yogurt.

I will monitor my own bp every day. Take an additional drug he gave me and be in his office next Tuesday at 800 AM. I have to run to the next doctor to have my cataract followup at 840AM. They are not that far apart. Good exercise.

This is all a little embarrassing. I thought I was going to get a pass on this careless way of living. No deal. You would think that I would have figured this out 33 years ago when I got caught drinking a little too much. Hard to learn.

I am immensely relieved to know all this and to accept it.

I got scared. A good thing. For me.

Dr. Jim says that is unlikely that I will have to be carted away to the dread hospital. At least not for this.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?