<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 26, 2012

CAPTIVE STATE

I haven't had a good Facebook rant for awhile.

Here is a good starter.

Leaving Facebook

I was not surprised to see recently that Mark Zuckerberg has retained control of FB as many others invested in his enterprise.

No board can overrule him, no stockholders have any say in his decisions unless he chooses to allow it.

It is, in short, an authoritarian state.

This is no surprise of course. FB has always been the Zuck's fifedom and will continue to be so even if on a huge scale.

Why is this wrong?

Well, lots of reasons enumerated more capably in this article. But for one thing that I know personally, it is most blameworthy.

Some of my friends, real ones, not the FB kind, don't look for conspiracy and con jobs in American commerce. At least not this kind. Somehow the wonders of the internet miracle seem to transcend people's skepticism and ability to think.

There is no doubt that many people, my friends included, find affiliation, revived relationships and many other fun and serious things from FB. They do not see the cost to their privacy or their innocence.

FB is notoriously hard to leave. John did it but got emails and shit for a long while about it. Fortunately he didn't have a lot of friended people. He went on for a crass commercial reason himself and wasn't interested in the social aspect. But it was hell to get off.

They have people by the psychological and sociological nuts. And so on.

But at the base, I have never liked the Zucker and I never trusted him in the beginning. Not only does he have "shifty" eyes and a con man's shit eating grin, I have a predisposition to be wary of anything like this.

This is where being a near pathological introvert is a big help.

I cannot imagine digging up the past or friending people I hardly know or putting my personal life out there.

For those who have drunk the Kool-Aid, good luck with that. Keep your eyes on the shit eating grin.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?