<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 01, 2012

SAGA

Today's gay favorite film (#22) is not actually a movie but a television production by HBO of the famous six hour drama written by Tony Kushner and directed by Mike Nichols. Kushner wrote both the play and the teledrama.

Angels in America

I never saw this as a play or a video. I was totally put off by Kushner who, despite some mellowing, I still regard as an asshole.

I also didn't go for all the ooohing and aaaahing about it.

And six hours. Puhleese!

It covers the period beginning in 1985 and so it is all about the onset of the HIV and the social reaction to it. I don't know when it ends. Six hours later, apparently.

But I think my resentments and discomfort with the material have passed its due date and it is on the list with STARS so I am watching it. In segments. 90 minutes each.

It is more or less written in one hour chapters so I am midway through the second hour.

We have seen Roy Cohn get cancer and rename it as he is not a homosexual, one member of a gay couple get infected and the other one get freaked out and run. And a Mormon couple with troubles (she a valium addict) he in the inevitable collapse of his closet walls. And one white feather has dropped from the sky.

It is OK but I am not panting to see what happens next. It is more or less at the 3 out of 5 level but, who knows, things could change.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?