<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 12, 2012

WHEELS

For two days we have been surrounded by wheels.

Tons of bikes riding past our house. In the back.

It is the Tour d' Palm Springs

They look like nice people as they sail by.

Jocks. Nice. Good legs.

It makes me think of my own bike riding days, now over. Never of the Tour d'X variety. Mine a classic Schwinn with a coaster brake.

But I "raced" nonetheless on a ten mile track down valley and back.

I finally gave it up because of safety reasons. Either my attention was not as focused as it should be or I was just not as agile. Or both.

Some falls, an ice spill and the last, a near collision with a car behind me coming on into the left turn lane. I remember a headlight appearing inches from my right hip, she stopped in time.

My heart went up to my throat. A critical injury (mental) which I did not want to repeat.

So those days are over for me. I am OK with it. It is the running that I miss both but I am not around anything like that. No marathons here that I see. No 10Ks. There is the ride up the hill to the Tramway that people run, fall down and puke but that is not for me. Never would have been.

The legs have seen better times and better days. But that is OK. The bike at the gym works great and I still do 30 minutes a day at the top setting.

Good enough for now.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?