<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 26, 2012

SORTA GAY

Today's gay favorite film, Number 23, was

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

which is strictly not a gay film at all. It is about gender, transgender and identity. There are no homosexuals in it.

I don't resent this much. Gay men have always been a sucker for drag queens (not me) but these are not drag queens. They are bonafide transgender characters including one that is played by a drag king. Beard and all.

I know this is a sidetrack from reviewing the film but I have never been happy about the GLBT thing. I didn't even like it when women wanted to be "L" and we had to go with that. "B"s belong to the club for sure and I feel less resentful about them than I used to be. I have found that some people I know really are or have been bi-sexual and cheers for that. It is the "T" part that makes me nervous.

It is not the same thing. Not sexual preference. Well, for oneself. G is about the other and the me. And so on. I don't want to go on and on about it. Point made.

The film is pretty good. John Cameron Mitchell. But it is noisy and pretty disorganized. Mostly a chain of musical numbers held together with some interesting film footage (cartoons, voguing and some funny situations).

And there is Michael Pitt. Pouty Michael. A beauty who looks a bit too much like Leonardo DiC. to get a lot of parts. There is room for only one. So he takes the weird, kooky and usually sexually wilder roles. Here's to him.

I don't want to see this again. Ever. But I can't make it a 2 can I?

Yes I can. A 2 out of Netflix 5 because I didn't like it but I didn't skip. I did take a break and go out on the lawn with Booker for a sun bath and roll around. Then back to it.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?