<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 10, 2012

THE DEAD KENNEDYS

I caused a bit of a flurry with my liberal friends at the gym today.

I mentioned that as a Massachusetts guy I wasn't at all enamored of the Kennedys, most of whom are a little dim and far to fond of themselves.

I mentioned Joe and some others who did serve in Congress and meant well but were really dim jocks when it came right down to it. Or addicts, or something.

This is the kind of flip talk that I used to indulge in all the time but age and a lot of arguments have quieted me down.

In the heat of the moment, I was asked if I voted for JFK and, as I do these days, I told the truth. No. I did not and I didn't like him either. A pol, pure and simple, run by the Da' and not very adept at that. Cuba. Viet Nam.

God. The silence was profound. My friend Gene nearly fell off his bike.

But, it is a simple fact. I didn't like him then and I don't much like him now.

He mentioned that the son, JFK Jr. was an admirable figure and I just had to say that he was a playboy and hadn't done a thing. If there was an heir to the throne then what had he done.

We didn't bring up Uncle Ted. Fact is, I think that he redeemed himself and more than made up for his disgraceful behavior earlier in his life.

Why am I telling you this? Because it is true and that I haven't had a chance to say any of this out loud for a long time.

Kennedy is dignified by his assassination and the mostly unfulfilled legacy he mostly talked about but didn't have time to do anything about. Then we got LBJ.

No matter what he did, you have to put Viet Nam against it. A tough job.

So there it is.

They didn't pick me up and carry me out of the room.

Jacky? Don't get me started. She is one of the bad things about JFK too.

No. I did not vote for Tricky Dick. I just did not vote for President that year.

Joe, Honey Fitz and Jack.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?