<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 08, 2011

HERO

Harry Morgan made 96 and left the world with a lot of people happy that he could stay so long with us.

Harry Morgan, Colonel Potter on ‘M*A*S*H,’ Dies at 96

Pneumonia. The old man's (and woman's) friend.

I first remember the voice and then caught onto the twinkly eyes. I believe that, more than most, he projected himself through the character in indirect ways. Always humor and cynicism and, eventually, affection were his stock and trade.

I think that first sight was on a cowboy movie or tv show. He didn't look all that cowboy really. He would play the town's mayor, often humorously and subtly evil, or maybe the storekeeper who got some backbone and saved the day. Maybe he would be the ranch owner but I don't think that role suited him. He didn't really look like a confirmed cattle trader.

Then there was the second incarnation of Dragnet he filled the unfillable shoes of Ben Alexander who had been Jack Webb's partner in the first go around.

Most memorable in M.A.S.H. Perfect.

I always looked for him. He was always there.

God, I hope that he was as nice in real life as I thought he was in the movies. And if not, I will pretend that he was. And happy with his life as one of the all time best character actors.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?