<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

MINIMUM MAINTENANCE

I was glad to see this article this morning.

How to Steer Toward the Path of Least Treatment

THE RIGHT QUESTIONS Patients often want to know whether a test or procedure is covered by insurance, but other questions are more important, said Dr. Steven Woloshin, co-director of the outcomes group at the Vermont V.A. hospital and an author of several studies on overtreatment.

“A patient should ask, ‘Why do I need this test? What do I get out of it? What’s my chance of something bad happening if I don’t get the test, or if I do get the test?’ ” Dr. Woloshin said.

Make sure you know about all of the different treatment options available, and the pros and cons of each. Remember that medication may be as effective as more invasive treatments.

SCREENING ALTERNATIVES Balance the risks of any test or procedure against the potential benefit, given your medical history. Less-invasive, low-tech screenings with a lower risk of complications — a fecal occult blood test, for instance, instead of a colonoscopy — may be appropriate for some patients.

If a CT scan is recommended, ask about an alternative that might result in less radiation exposure.

TOO MANY MEDICATIONS If you take medications on a regular basis, have your doctor review your drug regimen periodically. Ask whether you may be able to wean yourself off a drug like a proton pump inhibitor if you make diet or lifestyle changes.

Drugs that have been on the market longer often are better understood and have better safety records than newer drugs, whose adverse effects may not come to light until they have been available for some time.

My own goals could not be put more clearly.

Fortunately, I have a doctor who agrees with my own assessment.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?