<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 22, 2011

BROTHER ACT

Today's film was the NYTimes Critics' Pick

The Fighter (2010)

This ostensible boxing film actually slips into being a brother movie with a side dish of denial and addiction.

Two brothers box, one burnt out, the other about to be. What ensues is an excursion into brother love with a strong dash of the necessary Rocky like theme.

Very good.

Underrated Mark Wahlberg, the younger, Christian Bale, gaunt and the personification of the crack head older brother.

The women of the families (two fathers) are full on Boston Irish harridans. Although the scene is set in Lowell.

Amazing. I knew we were in this area at the first scene.

I liked the film a lot. Once was enough though. All the setups are blown when you see the film so, perhaps, the same emotional arc would not "happen" on a second viewing.

There were times that I wanted to bail out but somehow I got pulled back in and by the end I am going full bore like everyone else. Nice playing of the emotional hurdy gurdy by director David O. Russell.

I will give it a 4 out of Netflix5 as I would not mind seeing it again. I just wouldn't go out of my way.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?