<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 12, 2011

READING ENGLISH

This from Kevin Drum, in an article on 3D, and a by-the-way.

"I saw a bunch of 3D movies around the time Avatar came out, and then I just stopped. There was no point. I don't hate it or anything, I just don't really get anything from it. So why bother paying?

(But you know what rocks? Closed captioning for the hearing impaired. I accidentally went to a couple of shows with captions a few months ago, and it was great. I actually caught all of the dialog, even the parts that were barely whispered against a background of machine gun fire. I won't pay for 3D anymore, but I'd be all in favor of some technology that placed invisible captioning on all movies that could be made visible with special glasses.)

I started doing this for British films, particularly the kind that involve any type of regional accent. And Australian films too.

Then I started on American films. I used "closed caption" the other day to watch The Town, because of the Charlestown accents but, in fact, didn't need them to break through the accents. Just to get all the dialogue.

It is only annoying, sometimes, when the say things like "bell rings" but I notice that is less the case.

Try it. You might like it and get all the talk.

Of course, sometimes it doesn't work out so well, but we can ride through those moments.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?