<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 26, 2011

ADOLESCENCE THE HARD WAY

Today's film was Matt Reeves

Let Me In (2010)

This is the American version of the same novel on which the Swedish film Let the Right One In was based so, technically, it is not a remake. I don't watch remakes.

I liked the other version very much and will see it again with this one at the end of the queue. I would have done it this time if knew how much I would like this version too.

Let it be said that this is about kids. A boy who is picked on and a girl who is, well, not really like other girls.

She lives with her father, who it turns out is not her father, and has just moved in next door to the boy.

They become friends even though she tells him that she cannot have friends.

There are killings going on in the neighborhood, Las Alamos. A made up town built on the nuclear bomb development. There is a lot of snow. It is always snowing. The train whistle blows a lot.

Not too weird.

I don't want to get into the action. I can say that the boy is studying Romeo and Juliet in school.

The film is very good. It is just scary enough and just gruesome enough to make you jump but not over the top scary to make you distance from things.

The hardest part, actually, is to see the bullying that goes on with the other boys.

Don't worry, there will be a payoff.

That isn't a spoiler. We know there will be.

I will give this a 4 if I didn't know that I was going to watch it again with the other one later.

So, a 5 out of Netflix5. A little over the top but a review is a review.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?