Thursday, April 07, 2011
SING OUT LOUIE!
The mocking birds are singing all night now.
When Booker and I go out at 3AM, there is one singing wildly in the ficus tree just two doors down.
That is just the area where we roam around to pee.
You don't think we would do it in front of our unit do you?
This bird sings very loudly and I whistle back and then he mocks me but in a very complimentary way. His mocks are much more beautifully embellished. I cannot match them.
Booker is used to it now. We don't whistle for or at him but he knows what it means. Looks. Gives a puzzled shake of his head and proceeds with the sniffing that has to precede a successful pee.
I worried that we would scare the bird away.
No chance.
They are notoriously brave. And, I suppose, he knows that we mean no harm. He is safe in a very thick ficus tree and no one, even the natural predators like ravens, are likely to attack.
So he sings. And I whistle back. And a good time is had by all.
Come on Book, time to get breakfast.
Labels: birds