<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 14, 2011

FAMILY LIFE

Today's film was the first half of Abdel Kechiche's

La graine et le mulet / The Secret of the Grain (2007)

This is Kechiche's third film just available on disc in the US. A Criterion selection, a Cesar award winner and a NYtimes Critic's Choice film.

I guess I should see it, huh?

It is wonderful. Teeming with life. A family with many disparate parts and a 61 year old Tunisian emigre, the patriarch, who seems depressed and silent amid the bustle but is the spiritual core of the family and the film.

This is a wonderful, neorealistic (see the review) film which puts us right into the center.

It is longish, why I am taking it in two parts, but the time moves very quickly.

I just wanted a swim more than I wanted to see the second half today.

I know this will be a five. I have already ordered Kachiche's two other films, one is not available on Netflix yet or ever.

The photo is of the two brilliant stars. He is not her father but the daughter of his lover. See? I told you it was disparate.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?