<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

MOODY

Today's film was a "chamber work" by the great Russian film maker Alexsander Sokurov

Vostochnaya elegiya / Oriental Elegy (1996)

Muted color, scenes with fog, faces floating in space, voices telling what it is like on "the other side". An island where the narrator believes, after wandering through it, that he can stay forever.

There are sounds which are a Sokurov trademark. Whoo hoos and bumps. All for a nice effect. Tranquility. Be careful not to nod off.

"What do I know of happiness" in life. Smiling broadly all the while the person is saying it. And again.

Mesmerizing.

I am not sure what it has to do with the Orient but it is OK with me.

I liked it. And it only lasted 45 minutes.

There are three such works on this disc. I will be watching the other two next days. I am also going to watch a few of his features that are available. Actually, rewatch. Fives, all.

I will give this a 3 out of Netflix5. It succeeds admirably at its goals. It is just that I am not all that into this sort of experiential cinema.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?