Thursday, November 04, 2010
DOCUNUT
You might have noticed that I am looking at a lot of documentaries.
It sort of runs that way as I add to my Netflix queue and the films become available. In this case, I found a trove of docs and put them into the queue at the same time. Most were already available. Voila! A run of docs.
I suspect that my enjoyment of these satisfies a loss in never watching or having a television set.
So be it.
Another reason not to have a set soaking up space in my living room or my head.
I developed a taste for the documentary when I was in high school.
Mr. Seems was the guidance counsellor and, at a certain age, he held classes for all students in "careers". But Mr. Seems was also a film nut and what he did was show us movies. All kinds of movies. All documentaries. Long, short, funny, sad. Industrial, citizenship, social issues.
Non stop.
We never talked about careers. Mr. Seems sat in the first row. He ran an audio visual club and the kids ran the projectors and fixed the broken film. All 16mm.
It was great.
Mr. Seems also, later on, supplied my father with pornography. Very soft core. But in those days, maybe not.
Nudist films, story lines about the door to door salesman and the blonde, and so on. They were on silent 8mm. My dad didn't watch them much but I did.
I watched the guys although usually the guys were not very good looking. This is a standard porn meme. The girls are beautiful and the guys are kind of plain and wear their sox while fucking.
Gay porn, on the other hand, is all looker except now there are a lot of semi-pro videos and the guys are more plain again and, oddly, much sexier.
This incidentally shows the evolution from documentaries of porn through studio productions and back to the documentary.
See? I did get back to the beginning of the loop.