<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 30, 2010

CANVASS

Today, a small delegation came to the front door. They had handouts and clipboards.

An older couple and a younger woman.

I asked if they were there for a candidate.

They said no, they were from the HOA board and had the quarterly newsletter. There was the treasurer (the older woman I think) and a board member younger woman.

Wanting to validate my first impression I asked if any of them were running for election.

They looked at me as though I was talking a foreign language.

The younger woman said that she was running and as an aside mentioned that she had to get nominated. Good that I had asked, eh?

She is an incumbent of course and the subject of a recent petition and email hoo-hah about landscaping and shit.

So I asked her what her platform is. Again, the puzzled, "am I dealing with a madman?" look.

She said no. I said that it was hard for a new resident to know how to vote without a platform, what with the petitions and emails running around.

Another look but more comprehension. She said "I want to control costs". I said "Yes, but how"? Another puzzled look.

I helped. I said that the dues were the dues. What would she cut back on or not spend any more money on.

I mentioned the over-trimmed almost Alice in Wonderland shaped ficus trees. They said that was part of the original design! Oh well.

This is like the GOoPer/ tea bag guys. Cut costs. No more than that. No specifics. Also, don't touch the icons.

By this time, we all knew that I had her by the short ones, not that I had the intention of doing that. Cornered. Without a clue.

So I stopped.

She said, wisely, I think, that maybe I could help her with the platform. I said that she was welcome to call me for suggestions about making one but the content would be up to her.

Smiles all around.

They couldn't get out of there fast enough and neither could I.

I tried to be kind but please! You can't run on your incumbency. Times change. Priorities have to be shifted. What's up?

I was nice. It was OK. They got it. She got it. It was enough and we parted happily.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?