<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 05, 2010

WHO GOES THERE?

I suppose that it is a little dangerous to talk about one's own password policy but this article hits the nail on the same head that I have been hitting for quite a while. Years. Decades, almost.

A Strong Password Isn’t the Strongest Security

I still have the same password that I started with. There are the variations of course. Some sites want 8 characters, my standard only has six.

One that I use wants one cap letter and to have letters precede numbers. Dumb. I mean, now we all know that part, eh?

The main thing that has puzzled me, and this article addresses it, is why the major commercial sites have always been happy with the security of my password and have never asked for more. And, as far as I know there are no breaches. I have never, ever had a problem.

I have had a problem the other way. Sudden interruptions of service for re-registration or, as Blogger did the other day, suddenly ask me to put the password in and it was an eight character one and I had to go look it up.

Another security breach, around here. All my passwords are written out on a bunch of slips of paper taped to my desk cabinet. And all the codes are in the computer in the email section marked "codes".

My bank only asks for the standard. If it is good enough for Wells Fargo it is good enough for me.

I know that there are viruses who can plant seeing eyes on my machine. Well, not mine. I have a Mac. Notice when this shit happens, it is always a PC.

I used to have an extra security measure but the Mac software, which is updated, automatically, regularly, has sufficient security. I have never had a virus except back in the very old days. It came in through a disk. It was a worm. It ate my copy as I sat there and watched it happen.

Amazing to see.

But, it never happened again. Ever.

Has anyone peeked into my accounts? I figure that it is happening all the time to see what I am buying, watching, and sexualizing to.

That is the larger issue. Big Brother.

But what is "he" going to do? Place more and different Google ads on the sites I search or visit? Big deal.

I do worry immeasurably about security breaches outside the net. I don't give anyone my SSN or any other detail that some person might see in a file or record. I figure that is a far greater threat.

I don't know.

We live in an age where someone is probably looking over my shoulder. Just as we do not have shades or blinds on the house, I don't care who peeks in.

Maybe this comes from having lived in a city. Maybe it is just having a blameless life. Or, more likely, maybe it just means that I have better things to worry about.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?