<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 14, 2010

WHAT?

Today's movie was

The Box (2009)

with Cameron Diaz, James Marsden and Frank Langella.

It had three phases. First, nice moral dilemma to decide.

Second, lurch into cosmic and baffling possibilities as to what is going on when the "bad" decision is made.

Finally, the conclusion which leaves us entirely at sea and totally waiting for a positive resolution which never comes.

Now, that would turn me off right away from seeing a movie but I had heard that this was worth the trip. The destination, not so much.

The acting is great. These people, all of them, are totally into this. I wonder if they figured out what was going on. If not, they got over it. They are down with it.

The basic idea is from the experiment where people are told that if they push a button someone will feel electric current. If they hold the button down, the shock will be prolonged or increased. The longer they hold the button down, the more money they will get as a result for a favorite charity. Or something. Most people pushed the button and held it down.

In this movie, the ante is raised. Someone will die that you don't know and you will get a million dollars.

I had feelings in this film from beginning to end. I mean capital F feelings. Dread. Suspense,

I could not distance. I usually try to protect myself in these things but I let go this time. They convinced me to.

Somehow, when the worst happened it was OK with me. After being not OK.

I don't want to spoil it too much. I don't think that I could anyway.

There are some very fine second tier actors in this as well. The editing is sharp and clear. Surprising. The settings are spooky and mysterious even though the whole thing transpires around NASA and what seem to be real NASA facilities.

Jesus. It was just a ride from beginning to end.

The only thing that didn't happen was no one came through our walls here and took us away.

I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5. I am sweaty palmed writing this.

James Marsden is a dish.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?