<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 23, 2010

OIL AND VINEGAR

Today's movie was

The Queen and (2008)

Scroll down the page to read the review.

This is an obscure little film which shows a young Iranian film maker tracking down and interviewing the former or present Queen of Persia (Iran).

The younger woman was a communist rebel who had to leave the country when the Islamists took over. Just like the Queen. They have a point in common.

The interesting thing about the film is that it evolves from a kind of adversary situation to a bonding between the two women that we see occurring as we go along. While most of what we see is from the doc perspective, it is pretty clear what the Queen has to think about it as well.

In many ways this is an extraordinary film. One, the historical perspective is unique. Actually two perspectives. I, personally, lived through all the times shown, the demise of the Shah and forward. A lot was brought back and resituated in my mind.

Two, the relationship that blooms between these two women and the willingness of the documentarian to show it happening and to level with us as she goes along.

I am glad that I saw it before it sunk without a trace. It was hardly reviewed.

I am not even sure of where I heard of it.

I will give it a 3 out of Netflix5.

I really like documentaries more than I ever thought that I did.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?