<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 15, 2010

HEALING

Today's movie was Jim Sheridan's

Brothers (2009)

with Toby Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman with Sam Shepard.

This was made almost scene by scene from a Danish dogma film of the same name. I will watch this when I get back from San Diego.

Two brothers, one good one bad, or so it seems. Then one goes to Afghanistan as the other gets out of jail.

The plot seems trite when I say it out but, like all good films, it becomes alive and original when it is played out with great actors and a fine director. One of the little girls is pivotal. I wonder how they can get this kind of stuff from a kid.

Tobey Maguire has come a long way from his Spidey days.

What happens "over there" comes back with the good brother and that is not good.

This is not an antiwar movie. It is just a story that shows what happens to one family. And that is plenty.

I really loved this film and would gladly see it again.

I think that I will have a Jim Sheridan film fest soon.

That makes it a 5 out of Netflix5.

I think that would be the first time I gave a 5 this year.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?