Sunday, August 08, 2010
THE HATE MACHINE: IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING
The Tea Party people and the christers are at it again. Pretty much the same people, I think. How often do you see a black or Jewish or gay tea bag. Never.
This time they are after the Muslims.
It is the same hate and ignorance in a new stew.
Across Nation, Mosque Projects Meet Opposition
And there is no shortage of demagogues to stir the pot.
In this case, some of the stirrers are ex-muslims.
We have our ex-gays and closet cases. They are often the most virulent.
One of these big brouhahas is in Temeculah CA, not far from us.
I will drive through it on the way to my trip to San Diego.
It is a new to bursting community. Lots of newcomers. Gleaming store fronts and everyone on the edge of financial trouble. Overexpansion.
I sort of sat out the NYC mosque thing. The one near Ground Zero.
It was too easy to see the motives. Real estate. The Jews were right in there, the ADL.
I think we are in for a rough time again.
This country has always been ripe for the crowd with the pitchforks. Free speech. Free religion, at least mine, not yours. No limit on ignorance. No shortage of recreational troublemakers or, worse, the professional ones. A lot of people with too much time on their hands and too little to think about or do.
I suppose most of these people really believe this shit. At least they are not being disingenuous. They are the real thing. First class bigots with the zeal to get into your face if you are different and can feed their paranoia. Mostly mental cases. Cross burners.
What to do about it?
Well, it would seem that the real churches and civic organizations in these communities are finally speaking out against this kind of thing. I would hope so. The rest of us can help in small, incremental steps.
I won't listen to an anti-muslim statement any more than a racist or sexist or homophobic comment.
Labels: christist watch, tea party