<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

YANKEE HUMMUS

I laughed at this.

Hummus Catches On in America (as Long as It’s Flavored)

"“Back home, they would shoot me in the head for doing this to hummus".

We have had hummus around since way back in Boston. It was hard to get until we got Bread and Circus and other premium food stores.

I acquired my taste for it when I was in college. It was at the Greek and Middle Eastern restaurants. You ate it with pita bread.

We still do.

What I laughed at is that when I read the headline I sort of mocked it. How could people do such a thing as flavor their hummus.

Then, I realized we now do exactly that! Use a flavored hummus. "Greek Flavor". As if there was a need to do it a special Greek way. But it is different there. Lemon juice. Some garlic. The traditional is the way this guy's family makes it "back home".

I love the stuff.

It is high calorie but nicely olive oil fatted. We still have it with pita. In a salad, romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes. Most often with chicken. And feta cheese sprinkled over the whole thing. Italian dressing. Funny. Every middle eastern restaurant in the world, the cheap ones, use Italian dressing.

Well, they are pretty close. Both on the Mediterranean.

Hummus.

I even like to say it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?