<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I D

I went through my jewelry box this morning.

A search and dispose mission.

I didn't dispose of much. A couple of old watches that I held onto for some reason.

I am keeping my class ring from MIT. My Seiko gold watch I bought once in a duty free frenzy. It is nicer than my standard black plastic Casio GShock. I just don't go anywhere that needs a nicer watch. And the battery has run down.

I have a shitload of cufflinks and shirt studs. Gotta save them. They will be good heirlooms for grandkids who do not have a clue about late 20th Century costumery.

I have a few silver chains. Quite tarnished. No peace sign pendants left. There is an enameled ring that comes from my hippy period. John has our various commitment rings.

The most important part of the hoard is the few thing from my Dad.

His good watch (Hamilton), his work watch (Timex) with a busted band and a thing I could never figure out. It is like a little flask that couldn't possibly be for booze. Maybe scent. I just don't get it.

There weren't many unanswered questions between us when he died but I never did ask him WTF the little flask thing was. Slipped my mind.

The kicker is the ID bracelet he wore in WWII.

My mom and I bought it at Community Jewelers in Stroudsburg Pennsylvania (the County Seat) when I was 8 years old.

I cannot touch this bracelet without crying. Hot tears. Loss. Gain. History. Love. Very hard times. He went away to the War for several years. It was awful and wonderful too.

It was the best and worst time of his life.

He never got over it. But he did come back eventually. So much history in a little silver chain.

I can't wear it.

It is too small for my wrist.

I know that my Dad was smaller than me in stature. But I can never get that he was. He seems so big. So good. So important to me in my life.

I am pleased to say that I have become my Dad, with some embellishments here and there. I am proud to say that too.

Totally unexpected. But there it is.

My identification.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?