<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GRADED

I got my "grades" for interviewing young applicants to MIT.

Every fall I see up to 20 high school students who have applied to MIT and then elected to have an alumni interview as part of their admission process.

This year, I saw 16 young people out of a possible 50.

I had one applicant accepted! My first.

The whole thing is quite a moving experience. There is a vast range of personalities and talents. I am humbled by their zeal and sense of purpose.

What they do not know, this being MIT, is that I get graded for my written reports of the interview. An essay.

Each year I get some of the old nervousness that came around quizzes. Will I measure up?

There is a rating 1-5. If I get a 3, 4 or 5, I an fine. Passing. Less than that, they ask that I contact my supervising alumnus for a tutorial. Shame!

Well, at least they don't drum me out.

But I, too, would feel that I am out of alignment. Perhaps I would just resign.

This year, like last, is a good rating year. I got fourteen 5's and two 4's.

I am pretty clear why the 4's are 4's. They are both kids that I was pumping up a bit. Now that I read the essays I can see it myself. One was a total introvert. Extremely shy. I root for the introverts. I also tell the truth. You can see me doing it here. Some paradoxes. Very shy and quiet but very interesting. No.

The other was a guy who was super smart. A top guy in every way. I can see cheerleading in this one too. Not so good.

It is funny. Tell it like it is and they like what is there. Pump it up and they see it. Or something.

Nevertheless, I feel very good about the results.

They have a special mention of those who get all 5/s, the "high five" club.

I still aspire.

Of course, that is the nature of MIT quizzes. Give it to you good and show the fault lines, do better next time. Invaluable training.

The next batch of students kicks off in August. That is when the early birds ask for interviews.

I am ready.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?