Thursday, May 13, 2010
STILL AT IT
My neighbor, Herman Wouk, has a new book.
The Language God Talks
Here he writes about how the book came about.
The Language God Talks: The Back Story
Mr. Wouk is 95. And, obviously still active with the writing.
He is also out and about. Walking. Sometimes alone, sometimes with a helper.
He is affable and charming and not ready to make much contact. I admire that. He seems to be happy to just be doing what he is doing and to let me do the same.

This is just what I want so we have a deal.
I read his first book from which he made so much, well, money what with plays and movies and all.
The Caine Mutiny.
It was very funny and insightful about the psychology of power.
Not very deep but entertaining.
It hit a nerve just after the war. Everyone had their Captain Queeg somewhere in the military.
And the other books were pretty good too. And most, still in print.
In recent years he has written about his faith. He is active in the local synagogue.
His age makes him a hero to me. So does his exemplary life. So does his simple and somewhat humble demeanor.
I am glad he is holding on. Our properties abut and I am sure that the sons will subdivide the property and some asshole will build something horrible right behind our house. But I can get over that for now and wait for the sons to act before I do anything unwise.
It is nice to see him still promoting himself so nicely.
Labels: heroes, neighborhood