<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 23, 2010

WIPE OUT

Today's movie was Michel Gondry's

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

This movie with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, wants to be better than it is.

There is some sleight of hand going on and the audience has to catch up with the shuffle.

FIrst of all, I did not detect one spark between Carrey and Winslet. Now, my spark detector has a homo bias but I know "just buddies" when I see them.

This is also another script by the overpraised Charlie Kaufman who I really don't like much. The word mindfucker comes into focus.

Of course, this is what a lot of his films are about so maybe I am just not "getting it" but Charlie has a formula and he is going to use it.

I felt uncomfortable and edgy through a lot of this. It has some good support from Tom Wilkinson and Kristen Dunst who also have a relationship that doesn't spark along with a triangle with Mark Ruffalo. No sparks there either.

The director, Gondry, who I admire and am watching from top to bottom, is very busy here. Nice work. Not as good as the one I saw the other day, Be Kind Rewind or the other one that I will see last, The Science of Sleep.

Comparisons are odious.

Another thing. I do not understand how they got from Long Island to the Charles River. It can't be the Cambridge one is it?

I worry.

I will give this one a 3 out of Netflix5.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?